Saturday, August 8, 2009

Jen Tanaka

July 10 at 7:39pm
What can I say about Mr. Javens and the way he affected my life?
Okay, I will never, ever forgot the road trips we took to California and the wackiness that ensued. Mr. Javens would drive behind the bus, and one time we convinced the bus driver (I can't remember her name) to pull the bus over to play a practical joke on Mr. Javens. When the bus slowed and finally pulled off to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere between Las Vegas and California Mr. Javens ran up to us with a concerned look on his face. It was all we could do to not burst out laughing and give away the joke. Mr. Javens hurried up the bus stairs and found the bus driver slumped over the steering wheel. He placed his hand on her shoulder to ask what was wrong and all of a sudden the driver looked up at him with a cackle and gummy worms hanging out of her nose and mouth. Mr. Javens just laughed along with us and I could tell he had enjoyed the joke as much as we had. He was always like that.
Mr. Javens was a very professional dresser and teacher, but there was also a side of him that was funny and accepting.
I always felt that Mr. Javens cared about the band and the band members and because of this he always brought out the very best in us. I was always proud to participate in the varies parades we were invited to, and when I got nervous just the sight of Mr. Javens walking along with us made me feel better.
Wow, I can't believe that it's been 17 years since high school! And still I can remember those marching practices down Hale street, the way Mr. Javens could lead the band by a twitch of his finger, and laughing with him in the band office.
I can honestly say that I'm a better person today because Mr. Javens was my teacher. I remember him with a fond nostalgia and even today these memories make me smile :)
Happy Birthday Mr. Javens. I hope that or messages find you healthy and happy! May all the goodness you gave to us be returned upon you ten fold! Thank you for being such a caring teacher and role model!
Cheers,
Jennifer Tanaka

No comments:

Post a Comment